Friday, September 21, 2012

The Beach, part 2

So, on the first day of "suwf" boards, Emma and Julie tried it, but Becca wouldn't go near the water.  Julie "suwf"ed for a little while, and then she was done with it.  Emma pretty much fell in love with it, as long as someone was holding her hand.

We took a little bit of a break from the beach, in part because the girls weren't crazy about it, in part because I needed a break from the sun, and in part because the girls figured out that sand meant that they had to take a bath.  I'm not sure how long we stuck to the pool, but I don't have any more pictures from the beach until the following Saturday.  Actually, they're my dad's pictures.  Apparently I didn't take my camera to the beach that day.

Julie


My dad spent a lot of time with Rebecca, trying to get her comfortable with the water.  Lots of showing her that the waves were only little by the time they got to her.  And somehow, he convinced her.  By the end of that day, she was running into the waves, maybe even a little further than we would have liked.  I would have never expected it, given how terrified she was.



By later in the afternoon, we had them all boogie boarding on their bellies in the shallow water.  We had to hold the boogie boards while they got on, and then push them when a wave came along, but they were loving it.

At the end of the day, Julie and Emma wanted to go back to the pool?  But Becca?  Who had been all about the pool all week long?  She wanted to keep boogie boarding on the beach.  Seriously, I can't believe the turn around.  I'm so proud of her for overcoming such a big fear.

No comments: