Monday, April 7, 2008

Simpsons References, Bendy Straws, Overzealous Weed Wacking, and Sweet Potato Cake

Another weekend flew by. We got some edging done in the living room on Thursday (while watching/listening to the new My Name is Earl - cannot wait for new episodes of The Office this week!), so we managed to get the 2nd coat done at a reasonable-ish time on Saturday. I think 2 coats is going to be the end. We still need to repaint the trim and windows, so we did some taping and Greg washed the doors and trim that I didn't get the first time around on Sunday. So, all that's left to do is actually paint the trim. We're hoping to get that done sometime Tuesday and Thursday (our no gym days) so that it will be done before we leave for Boston. Of course, we couldn't have done it without the help of our Helper Kitties. (That's a reference to Homer Simpson's helper monkey - "What do you expect, Marge? His cholesterol's through the roof!") (Just noticed that the little bit of wall you can see in that photo looks VERY yellow. Blame the lights. The living room is now a light yellow.)

We made it out to dinner on Saturday to see a friend of ours that we haven't seen in a while. We tried a new Mexican place ... but around here, there kind of all the same... (It's like 'diners' in NJ.) Anyhow, don't know that I had ever drank a margarita through a bendy straw before, but hey...

So, lest you agree that I have nothing to blog about these days, we are headed up to Boston this weekend for a wedding of a college friend of mine. It's going to be a really quick trip, but I'm already trying to figure out how much good food I can squeeze into 2 nights.

Some more yard photos... The daffodils are gone now, but the tulips are blooming in some places, and getting awfully close in others. The hydrangea leaves are sprouting - can't wait for those flowers! One of the azaleas has some flowers on it now, too. Some of the smaller ones in the backyard are flowering now, too, though this may be a good time to point out that only 3 of the 4 in the backyard are flowering right now, as Greg took one out with some overzealous weed wacking, and the one we replaced it with flowers a little later. So I'll be able to pick on him every single year that we're at this house... :)

And major points to Heather, for picking up on the fact that today is in fact the 6 year anniversary of our first date! Who'd have thought? :) We celebrated by breaking out some sweet potato cake that was left over (and frozen) since Christmas. Oh, it was so good! And quite the indulgence for the two of us, what with this diet and all.

3 comments:

Corina said...

That picture of teh kitties is WAYY too cute!! Hoppe you have fun in Boston! I'm goin there w/ girl scouts in June. :D

Beth said...

Helper kitties... :)

Just reading your blog makes me tired. I hope you get to relax and have some good times in Boston!

Jen D. said...

Gosh you did all that and still found time to scrap???