I'll admit I don't like being in Alabama. Regardless, I try to keep and open mind and avoid stereotypes. I try to be tolerant and open. And it's not like South Carolina is all that more progressive.
I try. I really do. But I have a few observations.
First of all, if I owned a radio station in the land that gave us the 'wife beater' men's undershirt, I sure don't think I'd call my station "Kicker." Particularly because, when you say it on the radio, it sounds more like "kick 'er."
Second, I was talking to this guy today (who admittedly likes to talk more than he likes to work, and ALWAYS has the ESPN site up on his computer whenever I see it) who relayed his family situation. And I am not kidding: His oldest son has moved back in with him, because he and his wife are separated. Because he got his wife pregnant a month before he got his girlfriend pregnant. I wasn't clear as to whether both the wife and/or the girlfriend were living with him, too. There was at least one other kid from the wife that was now living with him. His youngest son lives "behind him" (does this mean in a trailer on the same property as his house? I'll leave this one up to your imagingation.), and he has a son from the girl he got pregnant in high school, who visits every Wednesday and every other weekend. He was trying to explain to me why Wednesday nights were so crazy at home. I'll bet he thanks his lucky stars he only had 2 kids...
And what is a "home style coin laundry"? To give you warm fuzzy feelings for the washing machines at home are equipped with quarter slots? I don't get it.
In other (not necessarily politically correct) news, the fact that I don't get the Discover Channel or Comedy Central in the hotel did mean that I got to catch old re-runs of The Office on TBS last night, and they were episodes I don't think I had seen before. There was one where Dwight and Michael fight karate style after Jim finds Dwight's purple belt, and Michael says he can beat him up. And his does in a big sissy fight. And then Michael promotes him from Assistant to the Regional Manager to Assistant Regional Manager, so Dwight takes white-out to his business cards. The 2nd episode was maybe the first one where Michael and Jan hooked up. Michael moves an important business meeting to Chilli's. Meanwhile, when Michael calls Pam and asks her to look up a joke for him to tell at the Chilli's meeting, she finds his manuscript for a movie, so the rest of the office proceeds to stage Michael's movie, with him as the star.
I am so looking forward to going home tomorrow.
2 comments:
Oh, boy. And you think SC is bad? SC seems positively cosmopolitan after this trip, I would guess!
It takes all kinds in this world. But I am amazed at how un-shy people are at airing their dirty laundry (whether they wash it at a homestyle coin laundry or not!) :)
CKC Valley Forge classes are up - did you make any decisions about coming up yet?
Safe travels!
Hee Hee . . . I try to avoid stereotyping . . . but sometimes you just get knocked over the head with the knowledge that some of these stereotypes exist for a reason!
Post a Comment