I had a c section on the 20th (inauguration day, and my great aunt's birthday) and the girls were born at 8:35, 8:36, and 8:37 am. The OR was organized chaos! Surprisingly, we did hear the babies all cry (or at least whimper) when they were born. The NICU staff whisked them away pretty quickly - we got to see 2 of them on their way out the door.
I was in recovery for an hour or so. The actual c section, while overwhelming, wasn't bad. On my way back to the room, they took us through the NICU where we saw all of the babies, and despite all of our (and doctor's) expectations, none of the girls were doing as well as they should have been doing. It broke my heart right there. 2 were on ventilators, one was on CPAP. Rebecca, our smallest and single umbilical artery baby, was in the worst shape. Her blood pressure was frighteningly low, and the doctors suspected I had some sort of infection based on Rebecca's blood work and respiratory status. They started all 3 on antibiotics.
Everything in between now and then is a blur. They have all made dramatic progress. Rebecca had about 2 days of blood pressure medicine, and now her bp issues are resolved. She will still get a full course (10 days) of antibiotics, but Emma and Julie were taken off antibiotics after a day or two. There's really no explanation for why they had such a rough start. But everyone is now off of any breathing assistance, and we're working on starting bottle feedings with all of them.
I am still trying to recover from the surgery, and am finding myself just exhausted between the pain, breast pumping, and trips back and forth to the hospital.
There's really no way to guess yet how long they'll be in the NICU, or when they will come home.
Some pictures from when they were 5 days old...


13 comments:
Oh my gosh this is just THE BEST NEWS! I am so happy for you all, they are adorable. So very glad they are doing so well. C-sections suck (afterwards) so do breast pumps, I felt like a cow! Take care. Sue
Hi Sarah. Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you and the girls (and Greg). Glad that they are doing better. Hoping for smooth sailing from here on out.
Congrats! So glad everyone is now off to a good start. Take care of yourself and those girls too!
I've been thinking about you nearly non-stop! So glad everyone is doing well and so excited to see photos! :)
Hi Sarah, I am a friend of Rachel L's....I wanted to wish you and Greg and the girls the Very Best!
Congratulations and so glad they are doing well....
I'm so glad that they are doing so much better...my heart breaks for what you were feeling when they were first born..that is a scary time but it sounds like the doctors had the right course of action and the girls are doing amazingly well for being triplets and being so little!!
I've been praying nonstop for all of you!!! Enjoy each moment...your life will be a blur (a happy one but a blur) from now on!!!
Beautiful, May God bless your beautiful family
Congratulations! They are all so beautiful.
Oh, Sara, they are so Beautiful! Congratulations to you and Greg.
Congratulations! The girls are beautiful! I will keep you all in my thoughts!
They are simply beautiful. Congratulations.
So sorry that the start was such a scary one, but am happy that things are really turning around. They are beautiful little girls!
Oh Sarah! I'm flooded with memories, and can completely relate to pumping, driving to the NICU (or rather have someone take you), and the fear/excitement to see your babies! It's a completely overwhelming experience. Just remember or try to take pictures or jot down notes. You'll forget all this, all the details, because life's got you so busy right now. But one day you'll wanna look back.
Know that I'm praying for your 3 precious little girls and you the 2 of you too! Hang in there! It DOES get better, even though that seems like an eternity away! I wish I were there and could help, but know that you've got someone who understands! Congrats on 3 amazing little babies! ;) I'm soooo happy for you!
Post a Comment