Monday, August 31, 2009

Apples, Baseball, and Some New Stuff

We went on our first apple trip of the season on last Saturday. It's absolutely one of my favorite things to do, partly because I just love to be outside in the fall. So this was sort of a trial run. There weren't many apples, and we didn't in fact go pick them - - we just drove up there, fed the girls, and bought a couple of bags of already picked apples. Hopefully we'll give it another try in a few weeks.

Greg and Emma


Julie and I


The girls in the car: Becca, Emma, and Julie. Yes, Sophie came with us, too.


In the end, Greg and I did got to the baseball game - but without kids. We were planning to take them, but some co-workers got wind of this crazy idea, and 2 of them offered to babysit for us (yes, it really takes 2). So we got out of the house and had a great time. The weather was just perfect and very un-August-like: not too hot, not humid. Just about perfect.

We took some photos of the girls with their preemie onesies. I pulled them out recently and was just in shock by how small they were.


And some more photos from afterwards ... just playing on our bed.

Becca


Julie


Emma


I went to my first consignment sale this weekend and got lots of good stuff for the girls. I swear, they have outgrown all of their clothes all of a sudden. At daycare on Monday, they sent home our bag of "spare" clothes and said "these are all too small." And I didn't have anything bigger to send in! I did finally find some bigger stuff, hopefully enough to get us through the rest of the summer. Every couple of months, I have to go through their clothes and just replace everything. Anyhow, I found some fall/winter clothes, some coats, and a high chair. I'm still looking for one more high chair, but a friend at work let me know about another consignment sale in a few weeks. We aren't desperate for high chairs yet, as the girls aren't completely sitting up unassisted. We are still using the Bumbos for feeding (solids), but the girls are close to being able to get out of them when they want to.

Greg took a vacation day on Thursday to do some work around the house. He said, "I didn't realize how relaxing cleaning out the garage could be." Yes, it has come to that.

Greg reading Tootle to the girls (Emma, Julie, Rebecca). Note how intently Sophie is listening.


I returned the breast pump to the hospital this week. This was kind of a big deal to me. It's been such a HUGE part of my life for the last 7 months.

We are getting ready to start baby-proofing. I bought a bunch of outlet covers and cabinet locks this weekend. I also ordered a gate - we're basically going to block off the living room and let the girls have it.

The ladies


Julie has not quite been herself this past weekend, and they mentioned it at daycare today, too. At first I was thinking she was working on an ear infection, but then she got hold of my finger and I felt a sharp tooth poking through on the top. So I'm pretty sure it all points to teething.

Emma is starting to get clingy, and has started screaming when either of us leave the room.


Becca and Emma


Becca's been happy for the most part, but no one likes being the last to eat at night. Lots of happy pictures of her lately, though.

Becca disobeying the bib...


... and obeying.


Working on sitting up with Sophie


Double fisting Sophies


Enjoying being on her belly now that she can roll.




Feeling kind of blah around here these days. We're both just worn so thin right now.

2 comments:

scrappysue said...

Sarah your girls are just so lovely, and all smiles! Yay for getting out for some grown up time alone too!

Rachel said...

Glad you got to get out on your own for a date night..you both need that!! Wish I was there to offer to babysit..I'd gladly do it!!!

You guys have come so far and done so much this past year that its natural you feel so worn thin right now...just remember it does get easier (until they hit their teens)...I won't lie to you..that sucks!!haha