Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Personality and Developmental Notes 8/18/10

Julie has learned to say "no.". Actually, it's more like "nanananananana" when she's throwing a fit because someone tries to take a toy from her.  Then she starts hitting and pushing.  This child has quite a temper.

We've been letting the girls play in the kitchen more lately.  The are getting tired of being stuck in the living room, particularly when we are in the kitchen.  

Once we can get her in her car seat, Julie has started sticking her thumbs through the loops that hold the straps back while we're loading them.  It's like she has her very own "oh shit" handles.

The girls have been in the early intervention program for almost a year now, so it's come to be time to reevaluate them to determine if they still qualify for services.  Honestly, I feel much more confident with where they are at right now than where we were a year ago, with them not sitting up.  (Becca didn't sit until she was 9 months old).  She has already scored Julie's evaluation and told me that she won't qualify anymore, and I'm confident the others won't either.  It's a relief really.  I'll admit now that when the  pediatrician first recommended us, I was a little upset, unnerved, worried.  Worried about my girls, worried they'd think I was a bad mom.  But our experience has been nothing but wonderful, and I can't say enough good things about our interventionist Catie.  I'm certainly going to miss reading her reports every week - they were a perfect capture of the girls' personalities and I just loved the chance to see how wonderful they are through someone else's eyes.  I recently found some old reports that I had saved, so I'll have to post some of those once they officially graduate.

I really feel like the girls have caught up.  It's so neat to see the differences in them.  Julie has the most words, but Becca can do a puzzle like no one's business.  Emma understands way more than I'm ready for her to. It makes me see how fast time has gone, and how truly lucky we are.

2 comments:

carabecca said...

I know I don't comment very often anymore (mostly because I tend to read through Google Reader on my Blackberry, and I can't comment that way), but I so love the updates on the girls.

Particularly today's update about Julie's "oh shit" handles. I almost spit out my drink. I love it when kids just do something we find funny, without them really understanding why we're laughing.

Congrats on "catching up"! I'm sure this must be a relief, although I too will miss the EI updates.

Anonymous said...

Hee -- now that Julie can say "no", I wonder how long it will take the other two to pick it up?

As for the EI program, we have friends whose son went through an EI program (in Indiana) because he was slow getting started talking. The last time we saw them he was 2 1/2, and was already sounding words out from books! So it really seems like all kinds of kids can benefit from EI.

love,
--Jen S