Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sunday and beyond

We needed to get out of the house and do something different on Sunday, so we went to IKEA. It's almost a 2 hour drive. The girls did pretty well, but Emma was kind of antsy. She was mildly amused by the big trucks, but not enough to keep her from whining about being stuck in her seat. We ate lunch as soon as we got there (the girls loved the Swedish meatballs) and pushed through nap time. We took a play break in the kid's department to sit on some chairs and push them around. One of our reasons for going was to get a thinking chair, so we had to find one that wasn't too fun or cozy. We got a few other little things, but no major purchases. I think I saw Santa doing some snooping, too. Something about a rocking moose and maybe some stuffed fruit, vegetables, and farm animals. We did also buy two beach towels after finding out on Saturday that the gym doesn't provide pool towels.



I expected that they'd all crash and sleep the whole way home. Julie fell asleep first and did sleep pretty much all the way home. Emma fell asleep next, but only slept for about 20 minutes. She was whiny on the way home, too. I kept her entertained with some snacks for a while, but when those ran out, we were back to the whines. Becca slept for about 40 minutes. I really didn't expect them to sleep very well on Sunday night after all that, but they did. I guess we do have more flexibility in our schedule that we thought we did... as long as we're willing to put up with the whining.

We took the girls in to daycare on Monday morning and were greeted with "What's that on her leg?" Sigh. Emma's whole calf was red, and she had a red, raw, raised thing about the size of 2 quarters. One of the teachers said it looked like ringworm, which freaked me out because I didn't know what ringworm was. (Of course I Googled it when I got to work and now know more than I ever wanted to.) But, I think Emma is just a mosquito magnet like her mom. I never saw anything on her when I got her dressed, and in hindsight, I do remember something buzzing around my head when we were putting the girls in the car. It looks like it bit her a couple of times (is that possible?), and then she must have been scratching it raw the whole way to daycare. It looks better now, but we've had to keep her in pants to keep band aids on her and keep her from scratching. She has had a couple of mosquito bites before (you can see them in her 18 month portraits) and they got big and swollen and lasted a long time, but nothing like this. Poor kid.

No comments: