Sunday, September 19, 2010

Personality and Developmental Notes 9/19/10

Becca can reach the switches for the light and the fan from her crib now. We started finding the light on, thinking that Greg or I had turned it on.

Emma started insisting we play the "nap game" over the weekend. We had spread a blanket on the floor and Greg and I were laying down. Becca and Emma started bringing more blankets over and laying them on top of us. Then Emma sat in between us and patted (well, slapped really) our backs. If we tried to lift our heads up, she pushed them back down. (I'm a little disturbed by her pushing our heads down because I don't know where she's getting it from. Surely they're not pushing heads down at nap time at daycare, right?)

Emma and Julie say "door" and know what it is- car doors, house doors, etc. Emma says it with the same southern accent that she has for dog (dow-ug) ... "dough-uh.". Emma also says monkey - "moe mah."

Julie had a little situation at daycare on Monday where she stuck her hand into her dirty diaper. Nice. Then she got upset when the teacher told her she couldn't have "mah bay-uh" ("my bear," this little pink bear she carries around constantly) back because he needed to be washed. Anyhow, they changed her clothes and put a pair of jeans on her. It's the first time I've seen her in pants since the spring, and my goodness, her legs look long (and she's my shortest!) and she looks so old!

We've pretty much given up on the exersaucers and have moved to the high chairs for breakfast. Every morning, Emma stops when we are trying to get out the door to pick up cheerio crumbs off the floor and put them on the counter for me.

Julie bit Becca's arm pretty hard this week. Becca was sitting in Greg's lap and apparently Julie wanted to sit there and didn't want to share daddy with Becca. So she bit her. Julie is just a handful lately, with the hitting and the biting and the throwing things. One of the daycare teachers said Julie was sitting in her lap when another kid came over and wanted to sit in her lap, so Julie hit the kid. It's so hard to discipline her, because she either just laughs, or doesn't seem to understand that the punishment is a result of her behavior.

I'm noticing that the girls are scared of the cats. If Dusty is sitting on the stairs, they don't want to go up. On bath nights, sometimes one of the cats will sit outside the bathroom, and the girls won't go down the hall.

Becca slept in our bed one night last week after waking up with a dirty diaper (and really wanting to watch Leno). She has new morning tactics to wake us up, though. She used to just sit there and wait for us to wake up, but now she's like the cats - if she sees our eyes open up, she's all over it. She'll sit perpendicularly to you and put both feet on you and try to push you out of bed. She pulls the sheet off of me. She pulls up my shirt. She shoves her stuffed monkey in my face and makes kissing noises until I kiss it. And as much as it disrupts my sleep, I just love snuggling with her. Love how she curls up next to you.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Southern accents? I think that's awesome! I know Avery says stuff in a southern accent sometimes; probably from pre-school teachers. Then again, she also says, "No, I do not!" in a British accent... :)