Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Daddy Day 'Venture

Hope all of you daddies out there had a great daddy day (because 'daddy day' is a lot easier to say than 'father's day. When I tried to get the girls to practice saying "happy father's day" this morning, they looked at me like I was crazy.). Based on the forecast, we celebrated Daddy Day on Saturday, with a surprise adventure.

Based on a recommendation from a coworker, I managed to keep our 'venture secret all week. We packed up early, and headed up to the North Carolina to see some waterfalls.

Our first stop was nourishment (of course. I took a slightly different route through town than I had originally planned - mainly so the girls could see all the balloons at the car dealership, which, honestly, may have been all of the 'venture that they needed. But the point of my story is that we went by Krispy Kreme, and I was reminded that my next 'venture MUST include Krispy Kreme.). We stopped at a bakery at one of our favorite places near where we pick apples.

Lots of chocolate all around.




After that, we headed out some mountain roads... twisty, windy, so curvy back and forth that the GPS shows the road as a straight line... Not good if you don't have the stomach for it. It wasn't too bad for me, since I was driving, but I've had problems on similar roads around here before.

Anyhow, the girls fell asleep in the car, so when we got to the first waterfall, the girls were underwhelmed to say the least. They weren't interested in the water, and weren't interested in having their picture taken. They're actually standing behind the waterfall here - there's a little road that you can drive on to drive "under" the waterfall.


The next waterfall was bigger, and just down the road. First, we just went to the overlook.


We decided to hike down to the waterfall - it wasn't a hard hike at all, just some wet stairs and lots of down ... and then back up. The girls totally rocked the hike, though, and Greg and I were relieved that we didn't have to carry anyone.

On our way down:





You could also walk behind this waterfall - it was a much bigger waterfall, and much louder. We got all the way down, and the girls got scared - not sure if it was just the noise or what, but they had no interest in walking behind it. We coaxed them to the point where they let us carry them a few feet behind it, but that was it.

More on our 'venture later - - I need to get some sleep!

No comments: