Saturday, September 29, 2012

Blog Your Heart

For today ... something different.

Today, I'm responding to a prompt by Stephanie Howell to "blog your heart."  The point is to be honest and authentic.  And, for me, the point is to actually write a post about me, and not about the kids.

So, here goes nothing...

1.  I love fall.  I love the chill in the air in the morning.  It's still getting up into the 80s most days.  I wish that October and November were about 3 times longer (well, and December, really, too).  We're already starting to book up our October weekends.

2.  I have lost the battle on the whole "princess" thing.  I really wanted to keep that out of our house, because I don't like the whole sense of entitlement that comes with it.  The still love Mickey and Minnie, but they also love to dress up like a princess.  I'm trying to come to terms with it and make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

3.  That being said, I don't trust my parenting judgement.  Big things, small things.  Should I have held my ground on the princess thing?  Are they eating enough vegetables?  Am I too hard on them?  What size clothes will they be wearing next season?  Do other kids whine this much?

4.  I wish I lived closer to my family.  I miss them dearly, and have some guilt that it's my choice that we live so far away.

5.  I kind of want to do something fun for Thanksgiving, but I'm too cheap to make any plans.

6.  How can I have been here for 12 years and still not have any friends?  No one to go to a movie with?  At first, I thought it was because everyone had kids.  But even my adult relationships that have come as a result of having kids are really just casual conversations in passing.

3 comments:

Claire T said...

Sarah, your life mirrors mine in so many ways. I totally relate to the lack of real adult friends. Why is it so hard? My 2.5 year old is heading down Princess path too. We have been doing a lot of lego and non pink toys to compensate but it is a hard battle to win. I am off to follow your blog as I know I will enjoy it.

stephanie said...

What a full house! And your poor husband--so outnumbered!! I think that all of us moms question our parenting judgement but with time come to trust ourselves.. maybe not completely but enough! :) I feel for you not having the adult friendship that you crave--I spent 5 years in the same boat. :( I still haven't found the solution, except to keep up with my old friends on Facebook.. :) Good luck with everything!

Stephanie Howell said...

here's my take on it. not that you asked. :) i let my girls dress up like princesses. they love princesses, and fairies, and even barbies (gasp!). but they also play football with their daddy, play in the mud, and play soldier. it's possible to do both. and i personally don't think there is anything wrong with princess play. my girls are tough royals. :)

i miss friends too. sending you big hugs and much love.xoxo