So, northerners may be stereotyped as being rude, but some of this southern friendliness sometimes strikes me as rude. Is it me? I went to the grocery store this morning (yes, yes, I know, against my "Groceries On Sunday" policy) and when I was checking out, I had a reasonable conversationg with the woman at the register. But the girl bagging the groceries was too much!
"So why are you buying all this fruit water?"
"um, because we like it."
"Is that the only thing you drink."
"sure." (I think this is the answer you want to hear, and, more specifically, the one that will end this conversation sooner.)
"2 gallons of milk? And 2 big boxes of cheerios? You must have a lot of people in your house."
"um, no."
But thanks for asking.
It's a good thing I wasn't buying beer (at 8am), or cheese-in-a-can, or some sort of fungus cream. Then I would have had some good snarky responses.
2 comments:
I've had a teenage kid bag for me before and asked all kinds of questions about things, too. They had no idea what fennel or cilantro were and said they smelled like crap. Ummm...thanks?
Yeah, I hate when they do that. Must be a boring job, but good grief. Can't they just make up their own stories in their head about the lady who buys all the fruit water? :)
Post a Comment