Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Importance of Being Idle

After a blur of a 2 day work week, we took off on Thursday morning for Topsail Island, NC for the weekend. Greg's parents were staying there for a few weeks, and with the wedding last weekend, this was our chance to visit with them. They also invited my parents down, and Greg's sister joined us on Saturday and Sunday.

We left a little later than planned on Thursday morning, just being so exhausted from last weekend, and then trying to turn around and pack again. Being late, we just couldn't justify another stop at South of the Border, despite the signs every tenth of a mile once we got on I-95. No flamingoes, fireworks, leather goods, or goods "imported from around the world" (which I think is just a euphemism for "China") for us this time. I guess that will teach us. Doesn't it look like a classy place, though? I went there once with my dad when I was 11 or 12, maybe. It took me a long time to realize that we had never been anywhere near Mexico.













We got in late in the afternoon, but got a nice walk on the beach in before dinner. I am a little fuzzy on details already, but most of the weekend consisted of reading, relaxing, walking on the beach, kite flying and catching up with family. We did actually go swimming on Saturday afternoon, too! The water was chilly, but not too bad once you got in. The worst part was that the wind was just nonstop. The temperatures were probably in the 70s, but it felt much cooler. Once we got in the water, it was my shoulders that were coldest -- just once they got wet, the wind hit, and it was chilly! But how often do I get to swim in the ocean?

Beyond a patch on my leg and patch on my neck/shoulder (neither of which are too bad), I escaped without sunburn. I still feel like I am coated in sunscreen though, and will probably feel like I'm scraping it off for the rest of the week.

But I guess there are worse things. :)

Here are some photos... they sand turtle photo and the smiley face shells are courtesy of my dad. :)

















5 comments:

Beth said...

How fun that you got to spend time all together! Great beach photos - they make me want to go right now!

Rachel said...

I love the photos you and Greg..you are looking wonderful!! Looks like you enjoyed yourself and had fun!!!

Jen said...

Amazing photos! Ecspecially the last one. Glad you had a great time.

Jen D. said...

OMG...2 weekend escapes in a row!
I jealous. Your pics look fabulous...I love the NC beaches(2nd of course to NJ)

Heather said...

Great photos! And you are looking great!

When a friend and I did a road trip from mid-Missouri to Tucson,AZ and back, on the way home we saw all these signs for this cheesy looking place in New Mexico. We kept making fun of the signs. But, once we got to it, we couldn't help ourselves and had to stop. Same kind of classy place as South of the Border!