Sunday, June 6, 2010

Memorial Day weekend and more

Last weekend was Memorial Day weekend... and we had no plans. We took our first family trip to Costco on Saturday - - 2 carts. It was actually enjoyable. Greg pointed out that it was like we were in 2 separate cars, because we couldn't really get next to each other to talk.

Saturday was also our 5 year anniversary! We had a babysitter come for the evening, and went out to dinner. We had been thinking about getting ourselves iphones, so we went to Walmart after dinner, and of course they didn't have any, and the saleswoman was completely useless.

"Do you have any iphones?"

"No."

Long silence.

"Ok. Do other stores have them?"

"I don't know."

"Are you going to get any more?"

"I have no idea."

"Great. Thanks."

We ran to Target to return some things and wander for a bit. I know, great anniversary, right? Actually, Target used to be one of our stops on date nights before the kids. But we did go get some ice cream, and then headed home.

Emma and Becca did some coloring (washable crayons!) with Dad while Julie and I were at the grocery store.




The looks are just priceless.


Greg made us some hamburgers on Sunday. The girls were transfixed with Greg outside. Sometimes when he takes the trash out, he'll stop at the window and wave. And the girls love to get on the couch to look out the window. So watching daddy grill was quite entertaining for them. They actually ate some, too. ;)




Daycare was closed on Monday, and Greg had some meetings in the morning, so I stayed home with the girls. I'd been thinking about taking the girls for a walk, but we got a ton of rain all weekend. We got 2.5 inches on Friday night, some showers on Saturday and Sunday, and then another 3 inches on Monday. I decided it would be a good day to make a big pot of spaghetti sauce. We had (Costco) ravioli for dinner with the homemade sauce. The girls loved it, but they seem to like almost anything in sauce.




Emma and Julie had their recheck with the ENT on Friday and he said everything looked perfect - they just need a recheck every 6 months. Becca was supposed to go with them, but I got a call on Thursday morning shortly after I got to work. "It looks like one of Becca's tubes is coming out and there's a whole bunch of drainage." So I picked her up and took her in to the ENT. He sucked the tube the rest of the way out and tried to get a little of the drainage out. She's back on ear drops. He said her ear drum was just too thin and floppy from repeated infection to hold the tube; there's still a hole in it, which is good so it can still drain. But we've got to wait until it is healed enough to figure out what to do next. Poor kid.

Funny story from Becca's trip to the ENT, though: They have some toys in the waiting room they usually keep the girls entertained for a little whlie. But Becca didn't want to play. She wanted to walk around. Or, she wanted to lead me around. She walked us right up to the glass doors that lead back into the actually office area. And she wanted so badly to go back. I kept telling her it wasn't our turn yet, but she kept looking at me like, "Well, c'mon - open the door!"

While we were at the ENT with Emma and Julie, we were waiting for the doctor. They usually leave the doors to the treatment rooms open, which is good, because it's kind of cozy in there. Julie started playing this game over and over and over again: She would walk out the door, take a few steps, and turn around and come back in the room. Then she'd say "bye bye" and close the door. Then she wanted me to open the door for her again. Over and over. Of course, when I opened the door the last time and she went to walk out and the doctor was standing there, she panicked and turned to me with her arms up.

We had an absolutely terrible night of sleep on Wednesday night. The week before, we were going through the congestion battle every night, where each of the girls were waking up crying multiple times a night. The were so congested that they'd start coughing and coughing, and then waking themselves up. We were giving them Benadryl at night, and all of a sudden they were all sleeping through the night. The congestion has been slowly getting better, so we decided we needed to stop the Bendryl. And all 3 of the girls were awake and crying by 10:30. It was a nightmare. I'll spare you the details, but at 2 am, we put them all back in their cribs and let them cry. We had to turn the volume off on the baby monitor. It was awful. Thursday night was a bit better - Becca woke up at about 11, and went back to sleep, and then didn't wake up again until 6. Hopefully we're over the hurdle.

Julie apparently knows how to sidestep around obstacles. It's so funny to watch her in the living room, when there are toys everywhere, and she's trying to get somewhere. I'm rather impressed that she figured it out. She had a very distinct "bye bye" and she uses it appropriately all the time, usually with a wave. She says bye bye when her sisters go to bed, or when I take her upstairs for her bath. She also has been playing with the toy cell phone a lot lately (Becca has, too), she she will say bye bye and then close the phone (it's a flip phone!).

So, the story behind Becca's pigtails... Her hair is so long it is in her eyes a lot, but I can't quite bring myself to take her to have it cut yet. She won't leave clips in her hair (no matter how cute they are!). She's also a pretty messy eater, so she often ends up with food in her hair. And did I mention she's congested? So, when we picked her up at daycare on Wednesday, one of her teachers (the same one who gave Emma her headband) had put her hair in pigtails, and I almost didn't recognize her. So. stinking. cute.






I could only find one elastic on Thursday morning, but they had more at daycare, so they put her hair up again before I took her to have her tube removed. Some pics (they're from my phone, so not great quality) from the waiting room... (Yes, she is playing with my glasses case and a pill bottle.)




I bought some elastics on Thursday night, and tried to put them in on Friday morning, but Becca wouldn't hold still and I was getting frustrated, and we don't really tend to run ahead of schedule in the morning. I'm going to have to figure out how to do it myself, because I can't believe how cute she looks.

Emma is working very hard at getting her shoes on herself. She hasn't quite been herself lately. She's been clingy and cranky. She has also been biting kids at daycare. The Friday before Memorial Day weekend, she bit another kid for the first time. And then Tuesday, we had to sign 2 papers ... because she bit Julie! They think she is bored, but they can't move her up to the toddler room until the middle of the month. I think she's bored, too, and I think she needs some one-on-one attention. I took her to Monkey Joe's this afternoon, just her and I. I thought it would be good for her to try something new, and get some mommy attention. But she still was a little too young for it, and did lots of crying and wanted to be held the whole time. She cried when I took of her shoes, and when I tried to get her to walk around for a while, she didn't want to leave the shoes.

We did another family Costco trip this weekend. Bex got ahold of my sunglasses. Some phone pics:





We went to Chipotle for dinner on Saturday night, and it was triplet approved. They made some cheese quesadillas for the girls, with some pork on the side. (FYI, the pork is the mildest of their meats.)

2 comments:

Beth said...

The pic of Becca in the living room with her adorable red dress looks exactly like you! The pigtails are super cute, but I can attest to not being able to do little ladies' hair.

Jen D. said...

Doing the hair...it takes some work and cooperation:wink: I still struggle with getting the cooperation at times, but I can do some good pigtails, pony tails, a braid and a bun(dance class).