Monday, April 23, 2012

Keeping it real.

I started working on a post catching up on all the photos from the wedding.  But right now?  I just don't feel like it.  I'm so exhausted/fed up/overwhelmed/bitter/cranky.  The girls are testing every last nerve.  Sunday was awful.  Today wasn't much better.

They are whiny.  They don't listen.  They scream or shriek when they don't get their way.  They hit each other.  Today, Emma pushed Julie down the last three stairs (backwards).

I am trying not to raise my voice or spank them ... because that's the exact behavior I don't want them mirroring...  But I'm at my wit's end.  Mostly they just laugh at us.  Or scream.

Perhaps I'm missing having the support of our family when we were home for the wedding.  I miss my parents.  I miss my brothers.  I miss my sisters-in-law.  I'm bitter when I hear about other peoples' parents "taking the kids for the weekend."  I feel like we never get a break.  For as much time as Greg and I get to see each other, we barely spend any time together.

I'm exhausted, and can't remember what a full night of sleep feels like.  Even after one of us falls asleep in their room every night, there are usually 2 in our bed by morning.  When all 3 are in our bed, I get minimal sleep, and there's usually a fight involved.  On those particularly fun nights, I get kicked in the head.  Lately, I've taken to sleeping on the couch, since it gives Greg and the visitors more room.

And as I hit submit, at least one of them is kicking the wall upstairs.

2 comments:

justem said...

thank you for reminding me that i'm not alone in this horrible craziness they call "three years old." ;)

Shannon said...

You must have known that I'm feeling the same way! Last night was the absolute worst I have ever experienced with my daughter's behavior. I have 4 yr old boy/girl twins, and my daughter has really been showing her butt the past week. Last night she finally told me why....she misses daddy. My husband is currently on 3rd shift, so he only see the kids for 30 minutes each morning as he takes them to school. Weekends are also a bust b/c he works 6 days/week. So besides him taking them to school, I am on my own most of the time. I'm used to the long hours with his job, it's pretty much been like that since they were born. It's the behavior I am having trouble dealing with, so I'm right there with you! I'm just glad I work, or I'd really be in the nut house! I am also in the same boat with regards to family. Both sets of grandparents are at least 8 hours away. I have a brother in town, but he has 2 young children too, so we usually use overnight stays for special occasions (anniversary weekends). I'm going to try a new behavior program tonight, as time outs don't seem to have an effect anymore. She'll go to her room, calm down, apologize, then start the misbehaving all over again! Just know, you are not alone, and "this too shall pass"!