Thursday, March 7, 2013

Montessori Birthday

This was our first Montessori birthday celebration, so it was all new to us.  We started there just after their third birthday last year.  

I'm sure there are many variations, but the main idea is to celebrate each year of their life.  So, all of the kids were sitting in a circle, and then the months of the year are laid out around the circle.  The girls each held a small globe, and walked in a circle from January to January.  Each time they complete a revolution, they light a candle (well, a battery powered tea light) in the center of the circle.  While they were walking, we would talk about that year of their life - milestones, things they liked, etc.  Then, once they got to their fourth year, the whole class sang a birthday "celebration of life" song to each of them.   

I didn't get many photos, and most of them have other kids in them, but I did get these.  The girls came over and sat with us while it was someone else's turn.



I think they were most excited that mom, dad, grandma, and papa were there, more than they were excited that it was their birthday.

They get to have a special snack for their birthday, so we brought in bagels and cream cheese.

No comments: