Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hi From Nashville

After a full day of work, I spent 6 hrs driving to Nashville today for CKU, or, as Greg says, "another one of those scrapbooking things." The drive was uneventful, and really not bad. I went for long stretches where it was just me and 2 or 3 trucks on the road.

I really can't say enough about how pretty the mountains are in western NC and eastern Tennessee. The Great Smoky mountains really are gorgeous, and I was reminded of a trip Greg and I took a few years ago in mid October, when the leaves were turning. Absolutely gorgeous. I snapped a picture at the rest stop, but it really doesn't do it justice (though it does give you some indication of how quiet I-40 was through there!). I didn't get to take in as much as I would have otherwise, because the roads are CRAZY - a slalom for about 20 miles. Grip of death on the steering wheel, and just hoping that those rockslides on the sides of the road aren't as recent as they look... But just cascades of rolling mountains... and being able to watch the clouds and shadows and rain showers and "smoke" across the moutains... sigh. Maybe some better pictures on the way home. The other neat thing about my driving was that I was chasing the sunlight... because I was driving directly west on I-40, I could see sunset for a really long time ahead of me, and darkness in the rearview mirror.

More later. I'm beat.

1 comment:

Beth said...

So jealous, Sarah! Have fun!

Slalom on the roads in NC is right! When we would go to Elon, NC every year to visit my cousin I hoped and prayed it wouldn't rain while we were driving. I was a terrible driver and passenger when that happened. It's a little scary, but like you said, also really beautiful.

Can't wait to hear all about Nashville.