Monday, September 3, 2007

Saying Goodbye to Summer

Can't believe it's Labor Day already. Unfortunately, Greg and I both had to work today. I was supposed to have a project starting today, but they couldn't find one of the materials, and the trucking company that has the material apparently wasn't working today... so they are hoping it shows up tomorrow. So I *could* have stayed home, except with all the vacation days I have planned, it made more sense to go in. It was pretty quiet.

We celebrated Labor Day by grilling the remaining hamburgers and ribs from my mom. (I think I could live on my mom's pot roast and ribs. Mmmmm.) Greg did the grilling. We also got some corn on the cob from the grocery store. I bought 6 ears, figuring we'd get 2 meals out of it. The 2 ears of white corn I tried were the best - should have stuck with those. Of the 4 ears of yellow, I got 2 half ears. Sigh. Ah, but then we went to Sonic to get chocolate milkshakes to make up for having to work on Labor Day.

Speaking of sweets, I made my first apple crisp of the season last night with some of the apples we picked up on Saturday. I love the smell that fills the house when it's baking. Now, if we weren't still running the air conditioning, it would be starting to feel like fall. It was in the 60s this morning, though -- 67 on the way to work. I honestly cannot remember how long it's been since I've seen a temperature in the 60s. Months, surely.

I went to the grocery store yesterday (Sunday) as usual, and when I came out, I was getting ready to leave when I saw a business card under my windshield wiper that said "I hit above the right rear wheel with a shopping cart. Call me if I can pay to repaint it." Now, leaving a business card is, I hate to say it, probably more than I would have done. I was so upset, though. It's not worth getting it repainted unless I'm going to get the whole car repainted... which I'm not. I'm not planning to call the guy (pay it forward, right? karma? help me out here...) since we have touch up paint around here somewhere. It definitely needs paint, though, because he scratched it good - down to the metal. If it were on plastic, I wouldn't be too worried, but rust... I guess I'm just sad that my car is taking a beating. Means she's getting old. Just like me.

Can't remember if I mentioned that the cats can open cabinet doors. Luckily, the new kitchen cabinets have tighter hinges, so I don't think they can open those. But there are a couple of pieces of the old cabinets around that they like to get it and play in. Also, the bathroom cabinets are nearly identical to the old kitchen cabinets, so they like to play in those. Sometimes in the middle of the night, we'll wake up to the cabinet door in the bathroom opening and closing... and opening and closing ... and opening and closing ... and opening and closing.

I think Lefty was just trying to prove that she could get up on top of it, but she has taken to lying on top of the clothes drying rack, which really can't be comfortable. I imagine her saying, "No, it's comfortable. Really, it is. I swear. I'm not just saying that so you'll notice that I can get up here now." Dusty got up on it last night, but didn't try laying down. I think she was just trying to get a better perch to try to get at the bugs outside the office window. Poor Don Quixote. (Her usual perch is on top of the paper shredder, which we now have to keep off and unplugged at all times.)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Sorry to hear your car got banged up (even if it is just a little)...so sad!!

Enjoy fall..its still been warmer here than it should be for this time of the year but soon it'll be too cold for my liking so I better not complain too much!

Beth said...

You need child locks for those cabinets. Those cats are more mischievious than a couple of toddlers!

Sorry about the car - I hate when stuff like that happens. I like to be responsible for all the dings, knocks, dents, scratches and spills in my car. :)

Anonymous said...

Apple crisp...YUMMMMM!! Think you could send me the recipe?

Elise