Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Big school

Monday was the girls' first day of "big school."

We'd been talking about it, and Becca kept asking me "Are we going for a visit?  You're going to stay?  And then we go to the peanut house?"

By Sunday night, Becca and Julie were pretty excited for it.  Emma was still in denial.

Which was pretty much how Monday morning went.  It was a pretty big change to our routine:  waking up earlier, getting the girls dressed and fed, no Mickey Mouse in the morning.

Becca and Julie went right into their classroom and never looked back.  Emma?  Wouldn't go in the room.  She kept saying she wanted to get back in the car.  It was bad.  She was screaming and crying.  I'll spare you the details, but it took us about 30 minutes to get her in the classroom.  And she was screaming when we left.

I called after lunch to see how they were doing.  Becca and Julie were off and running.  Emma calmed down, and was working on some things, but every 30 minutes or so would start crying again.

We left a little early to go get them.  Everyone was sitting in a circle and Emma had tears in her eyes.

Break my heart.

Julie said her day was "perfect."

We went out to dinner to celebrate (yes, the peanut house), and Emma seemed back to herself.

I know she'll get there, but it's going to be a rough few weeks.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Bless you. I feel bad when I have to leave the dogs for a while; I can only imagine a beautiful, crying child...
Patience!

justem said...

Ooooh! This is so sad!!!! Poor Emma!! It will get better!!