Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Letters

Last weekend was tax free weekend.  I took Friday as a vacation day, partly because I needed a mental break, and partly to do some shopping.  I ended up out all day, despite the fact that my original plan included a lot more nap time.

Anyhow, I was in Target, climbing over piles of kids to get at the school supplies (a guilty pleasure) and I saw some Crayola dry erase markers.  It prompted a memory I had maybe, oh 6 months ago, when I bought a laminator.

The girls like to trace letters all the time.  It's usually when we're out at a restaurant and they want to draw letters on their menus.  They want us to draw "lines" for them to trace.

I downloaded a free "dotted" font and somehow even figured out how to install it.  Put 8 letters on each page.  I was going to print front and back, but then noticed that we had bought the cheap Target printer paper, and it was really too see through.

Found the instructions for the laminator, plus the free laminate folders that came with it (it's no small miracle to find all 3 of those things around this mess).

And voila....


My lefty  :)

Rainbow W's

She's a little proud.

Tracing certainly doesn't teach them how to make letters...  I watched Becca doing the "X" by doing the left half, then the right.  But at this point, I think it's more about pen control.

Since it seems to come up a lot when we're out, I'm considering a more portable version - maybe 4x6" size, on a binder ring.  Of course, that may take me another 6 months to pull off.

1 comment:

Grace Gensheimer said...

You're a genius-just like your father, according to him.