Sunday, April 22, 2007

Weekend Wrap Up

This weekend was pretty much nonstop. It's been gorgeous out, though -- sunny and 75 or so. We've had the windows open since last week. It's nice to not need the air conditioning ... yet.

Greg had a meeting with his thesis advisor on Friday night, and I ran to Target and went to the gym. I'm still trying to get 'going to the gym' back into the routine. I haven't been good about it at all lately. Had to work on homework on Friday night, too.

On Saturday, I was up early and back at the gym. I ran a bunch of errands that shouldn't have taken as long as they did. When I got home, I cleaned the brake dust out of the wheels of both of our cars, because the car wash just doesn't get it out. I also realized how much damage Sam's Club did to the wheels when they changed my tires. There are deep gashes in the rims -- all of them. I'm so aggravated. I'm putting them on notice (Stephen Colbert, anyone?). Actually, I am really mad about it, and I don't plan on shopping there again.

I also potted some tomato plants. We had an "Earth Day" 'thing' at work on Thursday, and they gave us 2 free tomato plants. The announcement said "free plants," and I wasn't planning on going, because I thought they were just going to be little things that wouldn't survive. But then I saw people coming back with these 2 ft tall tomato plants, so I decided to go. So there's in pots now, out on the deck. I hope they're going to get enough sun... and I hope I remember to water them. It also inspired me to finally start my own herb garden. I've been meaning to forever. So I got seeds and am all ready to go.

We went out for my birthday last night with Lisa and John and Holly and their 2 yr old son, Andrew. It was lots of fun - we went to the Brick Street Cafe for a nice long dinner. Lisa brought me a present (even though she shouldn't have!) -- it's a box in a box in a box! :) Target has started selling wine in a box, so it's a box of wine in a box-shaped wine 'cozy' in a super cool gift box. (The 'smile' is where the spout is.) During May, they show old movies downtown behind the Peace Center. I've never been, but the wine cozy is for future picnics at the movies. Hopefully my school schedule will allow.

I had more homework on Saturday night, and again today. What I hate most about all of this is that I feel like I have very little time that is MINE, where I'm doing what I want to do. I feel like I'm always doing what someone else wants me to do. It really gets to me. It was so gorgeous out this afternoon, especially since Greg cleaned off all the patio furniture yesterday. I would have liked nothing more than to sit outside and read for even just an hour or so. Sigh.

Some other random pictures...
Our azaleas out front are finall blooming. I was starting to worry about them, since most azaleas have flowered already, and most of them didn't survive the cold snaps. We had some that were flowering out back, and they died in the frost. But the ones in the front, and the ones right outside the back window of the kitchen, seem to have survived, and are getting around to flowering now.




The kitties! Lefty napping on the chair in our bedroom. Dusty napping on the floor nearby. They seem to love having the windows open, too. There's one next to a dresser that we have to keep only cracked, because they get up on the dresser and put their paws on the top of the window, and I'm afraid they're going to get up there and loose their balance, and those screens are not load bearing screens (the Simpsons? the load bearing poster?). But they love to look out at the birds and the dog next door. They also love to leave their little nose prints on the windows.

Sigh. You know you're married to an engineer when he breaks the corners off of his cheese before he puts it on his english muffin.

That's about it. I managed to get a chicken in the oven a little while ago, so we're going to have that for dinner. The Amazing Race is on tonight, so I'm hoping I'll get to watch that while cleaning up some of my scrapbooking stuff (and making room for the stuff I just ordered...).

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sounds like you had a busy weekend. I know what you mean about school but just think you're getting it done and over with and what an accomplishment!
I've been taking classes (one at a time) for the past 5 years and I'm still not done with my master's. I give you "fast trackers" so much credit. Hoping you get some time to yourself soon!