Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday = Cabinets Decision

We hadn't yet made a final decision on the cabinets from Home Depot, but as we were getting ready to leave on Saturday morning, the phone rang, and luckily for us, Home Depot was having a special on special order cabinets through the weekend - 10% off. At that point, we knew we had to go ahead. (I'll admit I originally thought it was a 'special offer for customers who have let too many days go by since their last meeting without placing an order' special, but there were official little coupons all printed up.)

So, what did we decide?

The cabinets are going to be Wyndham, in the Harvest Maple finish.

The countertops are going to be Corian, in Maui.

The wall color is somewhere on this paint chip - we're going for a beige color with a slight yellow to it. The dining room is a saturated gold color, and whatever we choose for the kitchen is really going to be carried throughout the whole rest of the house ... the living room, the stairway, the hallway upstairs -- it all connects. I was originally leaning towards the Havana Cream, but I'm wondering about something a little darker, like the Pismo Dunes (or there's another potential contender on another card.) The cabinets are going to be very light, and the counter very dark.

We're also planning on recovering the floors. There's a white vinyl on there now. Due to the 1/2" slope in the floor towards the sink, there's not a whole lot else we can do. Anything thicker will basically mean never being able to pull out the dishwasher. The one we're leaning towards right now (Lowe's sale ends Wednesday - 15% off - so we've got to go ahead and decide) is the Armstrong Destinations line, and I think it's the Lost River Sedona.

Whew.

We got the paper and had some lunch, then the grocery store. Greg mowed the lawn and cleaned out the gutters while I baked. I've gotten sick of granola bars for breakfast lately, so I try to bake every couple of weeks. Today, I made 2 loaves of pumpkin chocolate chip bread, and a dozen sweet corn muffins, both from Cooking Light. The corn muffins are a new recipe, but the initial results say they're pretty good. And definitely better than yet another Oats and Honey.

Yes, yes, I know there are only 9 muffins in the picture, but 2 were sacrificed to quality control, and one just made the picture look uneven. :)

2 comments:

Beth said...

May I recommend the beigy tan color that graces our downstairs and upstairs? Behr's Gobi Desert. I also have a lovely shade from Home Depot (American Traditions) called Sand Between Your Toes. Both are good-looking tan paints.

Your baked goods look delicious! I love the combo of pumpkin and chocolate - I made muffins like that in January.

Your decorating choices are looking good. I bet it will be a fabulous finished look. When will you get it all done?

Anonymous said...

i vote havannah cream if it is still in contention