Friday, May 14, 2010

Julie had her 15 month check up this week, and she's doing just fine, too. They seem to be about caught up on everything but speech development right now. Julie totally surprised me, though, because she came in at 31 1/4 inches tall... 1/4 inch taller than Becca. I'm not sure I believe it, but it does kind of explain why she looks so long all of a sudden in those pics from last weekend.

They tried giving her a lollipop before they gave her her shots, but she wasn't buying. She only cried as long as we were sitting in the chair where they did the shots. As soon as we stood up, she stopped. She was more interested in the tongue depressor, so I stowed the lollipop in my purse. We ran a couple of quick errands, and after she dropped the tongue depressor on a nasty floor, I gave her the lollipop. At one point, I looked over at her and she was holding an empty stick - I kind of freaked out. Had she pulled the whole thing off? It was too quick for her to sucked it all the way down. Oh no. She was choosing to hold the lollipop by the lollipop end. Yeah. It just got messier and messier. At one point, she set it on her head. Lollipop hair. From the girl who brought us pork hair.

I was ravenous by that point, and we had talked about going out for dinner. Julie and I went and sat down, but it was still early and was a while before Greg could get there with Becca and Emma. It was easily our biggest dinner disaster. People behind us asked to move. Emma pitched a fit when the food arrived and wasn't immediately in her mouth. Then she wouldn't eat unless someone was holding her. And they were all so excited that they kept shrieking at each other. They were eating crayons. Then they screamed when we took away the crayons. I pretty much wanted to cry.

We did take the girls out to dinner today (Friday) after work, and we went to Moe's, which is apparently more our speed. The girls did great, and no one left because of us.

Last week, the girls' early interventionist (Catie) called and said she was a bit concerned that she couldn't get Becca to make any sounds. She wanted to know if we wanted a referral for a speech therapist. I thought it could be a good idea, but then I thought that NONE of them really try to imitate words yet - for the most part, they have their own words. Or, they have one word that they use for everything. Greg and I thought about it and talked about it, and talked with their daycare teachers. The consensus was that Becca is just shy, but she can be a pretty big chatterbox at home. I wanted to make sure I understood what Catie was talking about, so I took some time off work on Wednesday to go to therapy. And Becca - my goodness! She was a different child! She looked like she was about to cry. She'd do whatever Catie asked her, but she didn't open her mouth the entire half hour. Not a peep. Completely silent. So I'm pretty sure it's a defense mechanism right now - she's afraid/scared/confused. My other guess is that she might be understanding that she has sisters... and feeling "off" when they aren't around. Poor kid.

Not a lot of pictures from this week, just a few of us hanging around.

Emma and Becca with their daddy


Julie: Peek-a-boo with socks



Becca and Julie trying to get a prime spot in the window in the corner formerly known as Danger Corner.

4 comments:

PS said...

Use your Flip video to record the girls when they're chatting up a storm or doing whatever they won't do when you want them to under professional observation.

Edit or distill down the rough footage in the interest of time if needed, but show the docs/therapists what the girls can do!

Go girls!

Dad S.

Rachel said...

Seriously they are the cutest things!! I so badly want to babysit so you can Greg can go to dinner!!!

And you know what...don't worry about other people at the restaurant..if they want to leave let them leave..you all deserve to be there too!!!

Rachel said...

Oh yeah definitely tape the girls and show their therapist what they can do...

When Katie was in physical and occupational therapy when she was little (birth-3) I used to do that and show the therapist because there was certain things Katy just wouldn't DO for her!!!

Beth said...

I'm sorry dinner was rough. Although I'm sure it's hard, try not to take the people moving personally. It's them; not you. People who understand children would not react that way. Wish Rachel and I were both there to babysit! :)