Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Today was Tubesday

Whew, all 3 of the girls got ear tubes today. I'd been dreading the arrival of today - just fear for them, fear for the two of us dealing with the three of them. But we all survived.

We TOTALLY overslept this morning, and ended up waking up about when we should have been leaving the house. Talk about added stress. It was early enough that traffic wasn't bad, and we ended up being 15 minutes late. Luckily, then didn't send us home. (Or, as Greg said later, "We're lucky we aren't going to have to go to India for tubes.")

We were just talking about the fact that I didn't bring a camera. Greg said he would have yelled at me if I had. (I figured we weren't going to have enough hands.) But there were some awfully sweet moments: Becca walking around the pre-op room in her little nightgown carrying the teddy bear. Becca and Emma both running around in the pre-op room. Julie sitting in the stroller post-op, watching cartoons and eating cookies.

It was a bit of a juggle. We were all in the same pre-op room, thankfully, though it was a bit crazy at times (including all of the "I heard we were having triplets and I just had to come see" visitors). Sweetly, though, one of our daycare teachers has a family friend who's an OR supervisor at the center we were at, and she came to see us. We also had someone from family services come in and blow bubbles, which helped things a bit, too. All of there surgeries were scheduled back-to-back in 20 minute intervals. Julie went back first, and once her surgery was finished, I went back to recovery. Greg stayed in pre-op with Becca and Emma. Becca went 2nd, and it worked out that, just as Julie was about done, Becca was coming back to recovery and Emma was going into surgery, so Greg beat me to Becca's recovery by a few minutes, and then Julie and I moved over there. Recovery was pretty quick: they were pretty much just waiting for them to wake up and then fill out paperwork.

Julie and Becca woke up from the anesthesia pretty cranky, which is typical. They were thrashing around and crying. I couldn't get Julie to drink anything, but once Greg put the sippy cup in Becca's mouth, she clamped down and chugged the thing. Julie's crying fit was wearing off just as Emma was coming out of surgery; luckily, she was happy enough to sit in the stroller, finally drink, and eat some of the snacks I was able to dig out of the diaper bag and my purse. (No food or drink since bed time the night before.)

After Becca and Julie's wake up, I was afraid of Emma's wake up. But she woke up without any sort of scene. As soon as she started waking up, I was able to pick her up, and, although she had her suspicious look on her face, she wasn't unhappy. She was pointing and yelling "DAT!" before we left the hospital. Becca was still a little ornery, so she got carried out, but was ok by the time we got to the car.

We came home and got the girls some lunch, and then tried to nap. Emma fell asleep right away, but Greg had to take Julie into the guest room and I took Becca into our room. We ALL napped for a nice long stretch. This afternoon, the girls were pretty much back to normal. We'll see how tonight goes.

3 comments:

scrappysue said...

Oh my gosh Sarah, you had a really BIG day! Hope everything went well in the evening and the girls are recovering well. Thanks so much for your kind comments and support on my blog too!

Rachel said...

I'm glad that everything went well and you'll notice a big difference in the amount of ear infections and the way the girls will be able to hear without that fluid echo in their ears...

Take care!!!

justem said...

Yikes!! You are one brave mom!!!! Glad it went well...or as well as it could!!