Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 31: Our last day in Seattle

After all of the good stuff we've been eating, we figured it would be good to get one more long jog in before the end of our trip. This morning was bright and sunny - the first time we've seen the sun before noon in a week. Lucky us, because it was already clouding over when we got back from our jog, and by the time we got cleaned up and headed out for breakfast, it was raining.

Our jog took us up north of where the hotel is, but we stayed right along the bay. At the end of the road we're on, the land turns into a sculpture park, and then there's a bike/pedestrian trail that continues along the bay from there. We really lucked out on the jogging trails on this trip. Since it was so clear this morning, it was the first time we could see the Olympic Mountains across the Sound. After our jog, I grabbed the telephoto lens and went back out to grab a few pictures while I could.




We broke down and went back to the Daily Dozen (see yesterday) and picked up a bag of doughnuts ("the stains on the bag indicate freshness") and took them to Seattle's Best for breakfast.



We hung out and relaxed for a bit. It's hard to wind down a vacation.



We decided to go out to the Space Needle. It was still somewhat clear out, and today was also the first day we could see Mt. Rainier. The views from up there are just gorgeous.

We picked up a puzzle (or, should I say, we picked up a puzzle for the cats?) in the gift shop.

We walked around Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is), as the Experience Music Project is there now, too. I mostly just wanted to see it from the outside - I'm not that interested in a music museum, or in being taped attempting to play musical instruments - but the architecture is way out there. Lots of bright metallic waves of color. From some directions, parts of it look like a heart with ventricles and everything, and from other angles I see a part that looks like Darth Vadar's helmet.







By then, it was lunch-ish time, and we went back to Pike Place to the cheese shop we stopped at on the food tour, as the call of that homemade macaroni and cheese was too strong for me. We shared some, then checked out Sur La Table. A cup of coffee for the road, and we were headed back to the hotel. It was raining a bit more frequently at that point, and we were tired again.


So we came back and relaxed for a bit, then had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. It was very good, and we sat right against the windows, on the water.

It's going to be an early night for us, as our flight tomorrow is at 6am, requiring a wake up call at something like 2:30 am... So I'm headed for packing, but will leave you with the quintessential Seattle shot.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great pics...sounds like a wonderful vacation!!!

Jen D. said...

Awesome pics! Loved following your travels. Hope you had a safe journey home.

Heather said...

I've been to Seattle and loved it, but WOW -- you two really know how to plan a trip! The food tour, the restaurants, the lodging . . . this all sounded so wonderful. I'm glad you had so much fun.

And your EMP photos are more interesting that mine!

Alan & Kim said...

What a fun trip you made of the Pacific NW! I'm glad you both had such a good time and were able to share so many good pictures. (I still can't figure out how to get more pictures on blogger w/o them disappearing.)

I hope your journey home was good. Ironically, I'm sitting in GSP rigt now, about to start my long journey to... Seattle! Granted, I'm not going to see much more of it than you can see from I-5 (I'm traveling for work again). But now I'll know what to check out if I ever get delayed there for a weekend. Thanks!