Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Books Update

I had to look back at the last time I updated this with what I'm reading/have read. Apparently it was February. Quite a stretch for my poor defeated memory.

I was reading Her Fearful Symmetry at the time, and I liked it at the time. In the end, I'm not sure how I felt about it. I don't necessarily like "magic" in books, but the premise of it was really interesting, and I liked how unpredictable (for me, at least) the ending was.

In the meantime, I've also read Those Who Save Us, which I also liked. I'm always intrigued by World War II stories.

Around the same time, I also read Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It was complete coincidence that I read two WWII books back to back, and they dealt with completely different stories, one German Jews and one Japanese Americans. I like Those Who Save Us better, but what I liked about Hotel was the images it evoked ... things I had never envisioned before. The story itself in Hotel was just kind of ...eh.

I'm not really in the middle of anything right now. I've read a few pages of Bossypants by Tina Fey, but haven't gotten very far yet. Also already on my Kindle are The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

On my wish list...
My Name is Mary Sutter
Dreams of Joy
Shanghai Girls
The Help
In the Garden of Beasts
Mudbound
Confessions of a Prarie Bitch
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
People of the Book

And, I think it will be at least another six months before I get through some of those!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Do you already have Mudbound? If you don't and you don't mind reading an old school BOOK :) I'd be glad to send it to you. I read Shanghai Girls at the Beach - I enjoyed it. The Help is an easy read - I know it's big, but it doesn't take long and again a good story.

Did you read Sarah's Key?