Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A break

Apparently, my mom heard my plea last month when I thought I was about to lose my mind.  We had just gotten back from Steve and Steph's wedding, and we were all cranky and missing family.  And then we ran into friends having breakfast out alone while their kids were with the grandparents, and ours were acting like beasts.  And how I said how bitter I was about people who got a night or two away from their kids.

So my parents were here all of last week, keeping the girls home with them instead of "big girl school."  And then they offered to keep the girls all weekend and told Greg and I we could go out of town.  I'll admit we almost backed out ... not because we didn't want to leave the girls.  It was more that "is it really worth it" feeling...  packing, spending hours in the car, feeling like there's a whole lot of work we should be doing around the house.  But we came around eventually and went to Charleston for the weekend.


There are still large parts of Charleston that look like this.

We didn't do much.  We mostly walked around, and shopped, and ate.  But so incredibly nice to be able to decide what *I* feel like doing.  Feeling human again.  Spending time with Greg not talking about chores.  Or poop.  We actually went to a movie (Dark Shadows.  It was awful.), which is no small feat for me.  Normally, I don't have the patience for movies - I always feel like I should be doing something else.



On Sunday morning, we decided to go out to the beach.

Flowers in the dunes.

Dunes, and the Sullivan's Island light house in the distance.



The streaks are sand blowing across the beach.

Jellyfish.

So, so, so glad Greg and I had some time together.  We didn't have a schedule.  We didn't have to eat dinner before 6:30 every night.  Bathroom breaks didn't take 20 minutes.

So, so, so thankful for my parents.

No comments: