Friday, July 6, 2007

Music for Steve and Steph

Steve asked me for some advice about "going country." I'll have to be upfront and admit that my "country" tastes are really a little more folk/bluegrass with just a little bit of country. Love Dixie Chicks and Johnny Cash (and yes, I'll admit it - I even really like Joaquin Phoenix/Reese Witherspoon covers on the Walk the Line soundtrack.)

Some additional recommendations...

  • Robert Earl Keen (try Then Came Lo Mein, That Buckin' Song)
  • Blue Dogs (that was the Watchful Cow song I sent you)
  • Cigar Store Indians (less country, more of what Greg calls "rockabilly")
  • Lyle Lovett (Greg's recommendation; Greg also insists that I point out that he was Robert Earl Keen's college roommate)
  • Nickle Creek - I like their older stuff better



Let me know what you think of those and I'll try to think of what else we have that we like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I owe Greg a CD, most of which will be country. My recent favorites are:
Max Stalling
Chris Knight
Corb Lund
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Tom Russell
Ray Wylie Hubbard

REK is a definite must, Lyle Lovett also great but more mainstream. Pat Green is good but my local independent station almost won't play him since he's too popular :-)

Check them out at www.khyi.com, they stream their music as well. About half new stuff and half old (Cash, etc).

Scot

Alan & Kim said...

I don't consider myself a country music fan, but the closest crossover I will allow is, as you also listed, Nickel Creek. I've always enjoyed that acoustic sound, and it is really fun stuff. There first two albums were produced with Alison Krauss, so they have a more bluegrass sound to them. Their newest third album has a different, almost rock sound to it (if that's possible with a mandolin and fiddle). Anyway, I recommend all there stuff.