Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Brownies

Made this for a little get together today. The recipe warns, "These are very fudgy brownies." I can't remember where this recipe came from, but some of the directions are a little strange ... like lining the pan with foil. And the original recipe called for 25 Teddy Grahams cookies to go on top. I decided to go Christmas-y with the green icing and crushed candy canes on top.

1-1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut up
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 oz semisweet baking chocoalte, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 c packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 box (4.67 oz) Andes Mint Parfait Thins or creme de menthe thins

Frosting
2-1/4 c confectioners' sugar
3 T milk
2 t peppermint extract (I thought this was a little much...)

1. Heat oven to 350. Line a 9in square baking pan with foil, letting foil extend above pan on opposite sides.

2. Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl to blend. Heat butter and baking chocolates in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring as needed, until melted and smooth. Add brown sugar; whisk until dissolved, then whisk in eggs and vanilla. (I don't think the sugar ever actually dissolved. Also, I took the pan off of the stove once I added the sugar, because I'm always afraid of the eggs cooking...)

3. Add to flour mixture; stir until smooth. Spread about half in prepared pan. Lay mints evenly over batter (won't cover completely). Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter over mints; gently spread to edges of pan.

4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached. (This never works for me. I had a 8" pan, and I think I cooked for ~38 min.) Cool in pan on a wire rack.

5. Frosting: Whisk ingredients in a bowl until blended and smooth. Spread over brownies. Let set completely, about 15 min.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look really yummy..were they good?? I wish I could have one (pan!!!)haha

Beth said...

Mmmmmm...brownies!