Saturday, January 1, 2011

Buh bye, 2010

Sitting on the couch by myself (well, me and the cats) on New Year's Eve and reflecting on what the end of 2010 means. And there's nothing on tv, so I'm watching The Office on demand.

I feel like this time every year, we enter a new era. Last year, it was a step change in the feeding schedule, when the girls were able to hold their own bottles. This year, I feel like the girls are starting to play more independently, and they are starting to listen to and follow directions. Not all the time, mind you, but I feel a little better with the gates open. Or, I'm starting to feel like I could cook dinner with them in the kitchen.

We're entering the era where the girls are going to have to fight with daddy for their toys, particularly for those blocks.

We're entering the era where throwing food on the floor is an expression of free will. And is absolutely hysterical.

We're entering the era where our opinions are clearly outnumbered and we start having to use the "because I said so" line.

I can't believe they'll be 2 in a few more weeks.

The other highlights from 2010 were definitely the visits from family; the trips we were able to make to the beach in April and to NJ for Thanksgiving; all the meals out and fun little things we were able to do as a family - apple picking, the zoo, the playground. I feel like we started to really be a "family" this year.

2010 was definitely more fun than 2009. The girls are really at a fun age. Everything is new and exciting to them, and I love seeing them learn. I love hearing their language develop, the new words they come up with, and the way they are starting to combine words.

What am I hoping for in 2011?

Well, more sleep certainly tops my list. It's killing us.

More time to myself. Time to focus on my health, time to scrapbook, time to read.

More time for Greg. More time for Greg to have to himself. More time together that doesn't also include cleaning or changing diapers.

I feel like we've been making a good effort at giving the girls new experiences, and that's something I definitely want to continue in 2011. I want to go places, do things, see new stuff. I want them to be curious and adaptable and easy going.

To get my feet under me in this new job. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Enough babbling.

A happy and healthy new year to all!

5 comments:

Lisa Cole said...

Sarah, you couldn't have said it better: "I want them to be curious and adaptable and easy going"

That's such a GREAT thing for your girls, and for you to shoot for in 2011 :)

Happy new year!

Lisa Smith said...

Happy New Year Sarah!!

Jen D. said...

Happy New Year!!!

Rachel said...

Happy New Year Sarah and it is hard to believe how much the girls have changed this year...they are just precious!!!

justem said...

I'm with you on the more time. It just seems like there is never enough in the day. And the sleep...well we are lucky with that here, but only for a couple more months! Happy New Year!