Friday, January 21, 2011

Personality and Developmental Notes 1/21/11

One of the best words the girls have learned is "help." They use it all the time, and it seems to help with their frustration level.

They are also saying "o-ping" (open) in a few different contexts. Right now, they love these little IKEA bag clips. They're just little low-tech clips that are kind of like barrettes. They like to carry them around and then ask us to open them. They can, of course, close them repeatedly with no problem. "O-ping" also refers to doors, etc.

Julie still thinks fake sneezes are hysterical. She says "ah-choo" and tips her chin down when she does it.

They love phones right now, particularly Becca. They still have the little cell phone toy they've had since they were little. The new kitchen also came with a phone. And they just love to talk on them all the time. Jabber, jabber, jabber.

Emma has started calling Grandma "gamma on tv." We do a lot of video chats. :)

The girls have had an obsession with kitchen towels, I'm sorry, BLANKETS, for a while now. They're primarily used as doll blankets, but lately they have been wanting towels on the seats of their new cozy coupes. And, particularly for Emma, they MUST be perfectly flat.

We are working on "please" and "thank you." Julie is so good about it unprompted. The other day, Julie gave something to Emma, so we had to say to Emma, "Emma, can you say thank you to Julie?" And *Julie* says, "Tat-ooo, Emma." Becca and Emma still have to be prompted, but it's so sweet to hear them say "thank you" to each other.

I already mentioned the IKEA clips, but they seem to really like carrying around a bunch of little things. I don't know how to describe it, but they like all of the little accessories that come with things, and they like to be holding multiple little things in their hands. Spoons, little containers, little brushes, etc.

Julie says "I si-yee!" (I'm silly) and "I funny." Becca has started saying "I funny" too. So funny.

"Ay sha" (highchair) is also a big new word.

They don't like to have dirty hands right now. Midway through a meal, they'll ask for a "wipe," even when we've given them spoons and forks and they STILL decide to eat mashed potatoes with their hands. They also want their forks and spoons "watched" (washed) multiple times during a meal.

They have mastered the word "done."

They know the word "butterfly" but I can't remember their pronunciation right now.

For some reason, peek-a-boo is all the rage again.

They know the word "happy" and they have "happy faces." This has got to be something they learned at school, because they smile these big smiles and put their hands on their cheeks.

Apparently they have also learned that a truck says "honk honk" complete with the arm pumping. We love trucks right now.

Julie has started saying "cheese" for pictures.

Julie now gives leg hugs. She'll just come up to us when we're in the kitchen or something, and grab our leg and give it a hug. It's just wonderful.

1 comment:

Lisa Cole said...

Ahhh I remember the thank-you's too. Emma's was "tain-too Mommy, tain-too".