Tuesday Dec 6 was just a normal work day. I was in a class at work all day long, so it made my day to come home and find that the girls had made reindeer headbands. Becca was still wearing hers.
December 7 was our big 'venture. We went up to the
Grove Park Inn in Asheville to see the gingerbread houses on display as part of the National Gingerbread House Competition. I'd never been before, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. Kind of had to wait until the girls could follow some basic instructions.
At first, they weren't terribly impressed.
At this point, they were more interested in the windows and grounds, and rocking chairs.
 |
| Love E's reflection in this one. |
 |
| Beautiful, even if it rained all day long. |
 |
| I liked the reindeer airplane. |
 |
| We did go out onto a covered porch for a few minutes. I can't imagine what the view must be like when it's not cloudy or raining, or in the fall. |
 |
| I liked this one, too. |
 |
| Of course Mickey Mouse was a crowd favorite, although Emma says that the one with the "baby bears and baby cupcakes" was her favorite, and Julie keeps talking about a "pink house." |
 |
| We had fancy lunch in a huge dining room facing downtown Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains. If only it weren't cloudy and rainy. |
 |
| And some of us might have had a little bit of chocolate cake for dessert. |
 |
| They had a sleigh set up in the giant fireplace. Of course we had to pick up and pull on the reins. |
Definitely a fun (hopefully new) tradition. The girls said they had fun, and no one broke anything, although Emma made a mad dash for the giant Christmas tree in the main lobby and had both hands on a red glass ball the size of her head. Clearly, it was time to leave.
In the car on the way home, before they completely passed out, they said that had fun. But Becca told me "I scare to some of the people." I told her I was, too. And Julie told me, "I scare to some of the kids." And I told her I was, too.
1 comment:
Sounds like a great new tradition Sarah, and some pretty cool gingerbread houses too! x
Post a Comment