Friday, March 2, 2007

Amsterdam Day One


With the best of intentions, I set the alarm for 7:30. When I got up at 10:30, the sun was shining, but by the time I got out of the shower, it was cloudy and looked like rain. It was kind of like that all day … sometimes sunglasses, sometimes wishing I had brought a winter hat. But it never did rain.

I headed toward the Canal Bus, and bought a ticket, but I had some time to kill before the next boat arrived. I went back and had a waffle and some hot chocolate (breakfast? lunch? I have no idea.) Oh, it was so good -- sweet and warm and no maple syrup in sight!I also walked around the grounds of the Rijksmuseum, but sadly I don’t think I’m going to have enough time here to really devote to seeing the inside!

I took the boat to Rembrandtplein, and found my way to the flower market. There were more bulbs than I have ever seen! Not a whole lot of flowers, but mostly bulbs. I think it’s actually a little early for tulip season.






I did a lot of walking in the area, and eventually got back on the Canal Bus back up to Central Station.















(While waiting near the Waterlooplein market, I took this picture.)











I walked around the Dam area for a while, getting a little lost, and eventually found my way to the Anne Frank House.

I was surprise to see a line wrapped around the building, and debated whether or not to wait. But this was the one museum I really was looking forward to, as it had been highly recommended, and the line didn’t take too long. The museum was incredible … to see those rooms, and the hidden door gave me goosebumps. They’ve preserved the pictures that Anne glued to the wall in her room, as well as a growth chart of the children during their time in hiding. It was really moving. I wanted to pick up a book, but will probably wait until I get back to the US.


I headed back for the Dam, and was going to get some dinner … but got sidetracked by shopping! (Greg, stop reading here!) I found three shirts, and a pair of shoes. Who would I have thought I would find shirts to fit me in Europe, considering all the problems I have at home!

I did eventually have dinner at an Asian place called “nooch.” They gave me a business card with the bill that says “nooch brings you very good fortune.” Hmmm… maybe that will be my new motto. It was also my first ever fortune cookie in 4 languages, not one of them being Chinese. I think I forgot to save it, though, since I was in a rush to get back on the last Canal Bus of the night. I had a longer walk than earlier back to the hotel, since the bus “driver” didn’t go to the last stop he was supposed to. Which was ok, until I made a wrong turn. I’m in a pretty residential area, but I didn’t want to pull out a map in the middle of the street. I wasn’t too far off, and eventually recognized where I was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

neat pictures!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos, you captured the "feel" of the city.

...DAD

Anonymous said...

Really enjoying reading about your travels Sarah, so glad you got to see Ann Franks's House, it is awesome. Love your photos too! Sue