Sunday, March 4, 2007

Defeated.

Things WERE going well. I made it to Clermont without any major problems (except that excess baggage charge – oops! They’re really getting hard core. They weighed my carry-on! I also screwed myself, because you can check 2 suitcases (up to 99 lb total) for international flights. But for all the flights within Europe, only one. So my 2nd “checked” suitcase becomes a carry on … except when it’s too heavy…)

So anyhow, made it to Clermont, found the rental car despite the Hertz desk being closed, figured out how to open the trunk (hatch!), even found my way to the hotel. But after that, things started going down hill. Still not feeling well. Throat is sore, I’m congested and sneezing, and my sinuses hurt.

I was starving and looking for dinner, but 99% of stuff is closed on Sunday. I drove endlessly and kept getting lost, not understanding the traffic signals and arrows and bus lanes and parking rules… I was getting hungrier and hungrier and more and more frustrated with not being able to drive and read a map at the same time.

I finally decided to give up and find the McDonalds that was labeled on the map a guy from work gave me. Got lost multiple times getting there. Finally found it and managed to order. Got lost even more times coming back. I don’t know how I ever made it back to the hotel. To eat my cold dinner.

Sigh. Be strong. Choose courage. It has to get better … right????…

1 comment:

Beth said...

I am disappointed that you did not try yelling "Serenity now!" in the middle of France. Go ahead - it will make you feel better!

Just think of the funny story you'll have to tell the cats when you get home. It might even be like Natl. Lampoon's European vacation...Parliament...Big Ben...

:) Feel better!