Friday, March 2, 2007

Thursday -- Travels to Amsterdam

No major problems. I am glad I left extra time in Paris, since it took nearly an hour to get luggage. (My ticket was covered by work through Paris, and I bought the flight to Amsterdam separately. Since they weren’t on the same ticket, I had to reclaim my luggage and Paris and go back through check-in again. Charles de Gaulle is a really confusing airport.) Only problem was that apparently I was only allowed one checked bag from Paris to Amsterdam. I took two instead of having to pay for extra weight on all of these flights. So I had to scramble and repack, and take two carry-ons. My repacking resulted in the checked suitcase being too heavy… but luckily she ignored it. When I got on the plane, they said that my roll-on suitcase was too big, and they’d have to check it through to my final destination for me. Just fine by me, since that’s what I wanted in the first place!

Getting from the airport to the hotel was actually a lot easier than I was counting on. I was the last one on the van, and the first one off! My hotel room is fine, and apparently this is the hotel where John Lennon wrote "The Ballad of John and Yoko." I just took it easy, since it was about 7pm when I got in. Ordered some room service, relaxed, and tried to fall asleep. I had a really hard time falling asleep, which I don’t understand. I hadn’t slept much at all in the last 36 hours or so. Eventually I drifted off.

No comments: