Today was my tour day. I was planning on getting up early and walking around before then, but it was cold and raining this morning. And I had trouble falling asleep again last night, so it was late.
The first stop on the tour was Zaanse Schans, a Dutch Waterloo Village. There was a demonstration from a wooden shoe maker, then some time to walk out to see the windmills. It had pretty much stopped raining by then, but it was windy and bitterly cold. 

From there, we went to Volendam, on a big lake that used to be connected to the North Sea. It's a small fishing village with lots of little houses that all look the same, except for the doors, and winding brick streets. Ooh... but the best part was that, on the way to Volendam, we stopped at a cheese farm. I love cheese, and it was so good - lots of free samples. They swear you can bring the cheese back to the US as long as you don't open it. It's pretty heavy, though. (Also got some stroopwaffle cookies!)


Lunch in Volendam consisted of Dutch pancakes and hot chocolate (cold and windy here, too!)
I mastered the trams today - they're actually pretty convenient and easy to use. At some of the busier stops, there are constantly updating signs with the time of the next trams. It was pretty cool!


When I got back to Amsterdam, I went to the "Heineken Experience." (Wanted to make Dad and Greg proud.) It was a combination museum - commercial (Coke musuem, anyone?) - excuse to drink beer. Some of the history was interesting, but some of the other stuff was just dumb ... sorry to disappoint. But a shaking floor and a movie so you know what it feels like to be a bottle? Rate our new commercials? I'll just fast forward to the beer. I drank my 2 free glasses. Can't remember the last time I drank beer. Took the tram to Leidseplein for some wandering and shopping. Got a hot sandwich (Dutch grill = Gouda + Tomato), and by then I was exhausted. Found a grocery story and stocked up on some snacks and bread and cheese for breakfast in the morning. Took the tram back to the hotel, and I'm ready for bed.
Can't believe it's already been 2 days. I really do have to get up early in the morning to catch a ride to the airport.
1 comment:
Loving the photos Sarah, I remember going to Volendam, such a cute place, not sure how we missed the beer tour though! Good luck with the next part of your travels. Sue
Post a Comment