I am tired. Tired of not sleeping. Tired of carrying a purse around 24-7. Tired of not being able to find a purse that will stay on my shoulder. Tired of constantly having strangers’ elbows in my sides.
And I’m cranky. Friday didn’t start out so hot. We went for breakfast somewhere different, because we were (I was?) tired of Starbucks for breakfast. I had a breakfast sandwich with a fried egg on it, and in the first bite, I managed to pop the yolk, and get it both in my hair and on my scarf. I don’t know whether or not egg yolk comes out.
Afterwards, we walked all the way down the Royal Mile to the Palace of Hollyroodhouse. The whole experience reminded be of the Biltmore House in Asheville, but older and with more history. There weren’t a whole lot of rooms that you were allowed into, and the gardens were closed. It was kind of the opposite experience of the castle on Wednesday. There was a ton to see at the castle – more than I had expected-, and we didn’t see all of it. But there was less to see at the Palace than I had expected.
The Palace is right across the street from the new Parliament building, and stands in stark contrast to it – the new Parliament is one of the most modern buildings I’ve ever seen. It was really neat looking, except for the 1 ft tall rocks out front that Greg said looked like teeth.
Oh – no pictures for today. I’m at the airport now, and was surprised to realize I have no idea where the digital camera is. It got caught up in the flurry of repacking last night, and I’m hoping that Greg has it somewhere. I’ll try to post some when we get home.
We trudged back up the hill in search of lunch. Along the way, we found a Christmas store, and got an ornament of a snowman wearing a kilt. We finally settled on a lunch place called the Villager, slightly off the Royal Mile. I finally had some fish and chips.
We got some coffee (guess I wasn’t that sick of Starbucks) and went back to the new part of town and just looked around for a while. There’s a park in the gorge between the New Town and the castle, and we wandered around there for a while. The weather was a little funny all day – when the sun was out, you didn’t really want a coat. But as soon as the sun went in, you wanted a coat and (egg-crusted) scarf.
Finally had to head for the airport, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment