Friday, March 16, 2007

Last Day in Clermont

I know I’ve said it already, but I don’t know how the time went so fast! I tried to take it easy today. Got up and hung around the hotel for a while, cleaning up and packing up. I finally had to go to the post office. Good heavens – I don’t even want to admit to how much postage cost to the US, and I didn’t even go with Air Mail. I had to fill out a customs form for each one, and declare the value. I’m not sure if the declared value was more than the postage. It was probably close. But my suitcases are noticeably lighter.

I went in to town to just hang out for a couple of hours. By the time I got there, though, it was around noon, and everything shuts down for lunch from noon until 2ish. I found a couple of shops still open, tried to get some last photos, and got some lunch. I also just sat outside and read for a while – so nice!

I haven’t posted any pictures lately, so I tried to grab some today, but am not super happy with them. The weather has cleared up, but there’s been this haze all week. It’s not super humid – I can’t quite figure out what it is. But everything looks hazy. I took this picture of the big church in the middle of town from the end of the street, and even it looks hazy. (If you stand in front of the church and look down the street, you see the Puy de Dome … I have an earlier picture of this somewhere.) Should have more pictures soon, though!

The car made it back to the airport in one piece. I even managed to fill it with gas (sans plomb, not diesel!). There was no “Car Rental Return” lot, though, which was strange. You just park the car in the regular parking lot, and tell them where you left it. It’s a pretty small airport.

No comments: