Monday, March 12, 2007

Aligot and Confit de Canard and French Toast

That's what I had for dinner. I ran into some colleagues in the cafeteria today, and finally had someone to go to dinner with. It was an experience! And it is true - it's nearly impossible to do dinner in under 2 hours.

So, I had a roasted duck leg for dinner, with these mashed potatoes (aligot) that were to die for! Apparently, it's a speciality of this little restaurant, and the owner made a big production out of mixing them up and serving them in front of us. The potatoes are mixed with a whole bunch of cheese (didn't catch the kind) and then he stirs them up and "throws" them on to the plates. There was a degree on the wall that said he was a "Master of Aligot."

We also had some good red wine - my first wine since I've been here. (I figured it was ok now that I'm tapering off on the decongestants.) It was a pinot noir from somewhere around here, but again I didn't catch the name. Can't figure out how I'd bring some home anyway, with the new liquid restrictions when you're flying.

For dessert, no joke, we had French toast. I think the actual translation was "old bread." But it was so good - with a little bit of ice cream some pear, some strawberry.

Back to *not* working on this midterm...

2 comments:

Beth said...

All of it sounds divine!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Glad you finally got to head out for dinner. Sue