*Public outdoor urinals are just weird. And sexist.
*Sometimes complete strangers can be so nice to you when you’re vulnerable that you just want to hug them for restoring your faith in humanity.
*Dutch sounds a little like Swedish. And when I say Swedish, I mean I heard a commercial on tv last night that sounded JUST like the Swedish chef from the Muppets. (No offense to the Dutch. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experiences!)
*There’s an international version of the Daily Show with John Stewart. It’s a weekly show, mostly with clips from the US version. But there’s a disclaimer before the show saying that it is not real news. No such disclaimer in the US … Of course, here it was on CNN, and at home it’s on Comedy Central.
*Any English tv is a welcome sound, no matter how bad it is. I watched movies (Raising Helen, and one with Ashley Judd and the guy from Men in Black that’s not Will Smith that I can’t remember the name of, where her husband fakes his own death and gets her put in prison for it. I watched Will and Grace, Cold Case, Law and Order, and the one episode of Medium that I had already seen. I drew the line at The Nanny. There were ads for a show that looked like the Amazing Race that looked cool, but it was in Dutch.
*I am still independent. I can do this.
*I still have a decent sense of direction.
*I miss Greg.
*I miss my kittens … but they were a little sick before I left. Poor Greg had to deal with all that.
*Why are Americans the only people in the world who speak just one language? I’ve been able to communicate just fine with everyone in English so far, but everyone seems to speak multiple languages fluently. It makes me jealous.
*It’s hard (and expensive) to stay hydrated in a foreign country.
*I would love to live in a world where the internet is free. Because I’m seriously addicted to it. Weather, news at home, email, keeping up with everyone. Of course, paying for access seems to be more economical than calling home for news…
*I need to find a less expensive way to call home! I don’t want to admit to what it cost to call home for about 3 minutes the other day … but I will … it was like 30 euros!
*2 days in Amsterdam was not enough! I didn’t get into any of the serious museums, because I thought it was going to take a big chunk of time.
*Free luggage carts should not be taken for granted.
1 comment:
Fun stuff Sarah! Don't worry, us Brits are just as bad at only speaking one language, unless you happen to be 8 and going to a British School in the Middle East and you are already learning Arabic and French, good grief! Can't wait to hear of your adventures in Paris! Sue
Post a Comment